+Quote Post
Brodius
post Jan 2 2004, 07:37 PM
Post #2

Karate Biker Guy

Group: Members
Member No.: 86
Style: Go Kan Ryu Karate Do

Zen Do Kai. Haven't heard that much about it, but I think it's a style of Karate. B)

*Shrug*

--------------------
Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. - Bruce Lee
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fang
post Jan 4 2004, 11:32 AM
Post #3

the guru of all things

Member No.: 87

no idea but you have my interest up, i might surf abit and see what i can find out about it.

--------------------
The optimist: "The glass is half full."
The pessimist: "The glass is half empty."
The Fang: "Doesnt matter how full the glass is as long...
as the bottle of bourbon keeps filling it back up."

+Quote Post
Matt
post Jan 4 2004, 01:40 PM
Post #4

Running with scissors

Group: Admin.
Member No.: 1
Style: Karotty

http://www.bobjones.com.au

Zen do kai is part of the Bob Jones Corporation. Interesting to read the site - it appears they only have three coloured belt grades!

I recall reading a blitz mag which had an article on Bob Jones and another on kancho. I could be wrong, but it appears they used to train together.

--------------------
I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now

+Quote Post
Rebecca
post Jan 8 2004, 06:24 PM
Post #5

mildly neurotic

Member No.: 10

So how long do you spend in each grade?

+Quote Post
fang
post Jan 10 2004, 11:03 AM
Post #6

the guru of all things

Member No.: 87

good question :thumbwink:. with 3 coloured belt grades i'd say it would be a while.

--------------------
The optimist: "The glass is half full."
The pessimist: "The glass is half empty."
The Fang: "Doesnt matter how full the glass is as long...
as the bottle of bourbon keeps filling it back up."

+Quote Post
Brodius
post Jan 10 2004, 06:07 PM
Post #7

Karate Biker Guy

Member No.: 86
Style: Go Kan Ryu Karate Do

Who knows? Maybe 6 months for the first grade, a year for the second, and then 5 years for the third. ph34r.gif

--------------------
Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. - Bruce Lee

+Quote Post
Karate Dad
post Jan 29 2004, 11:56 AM
Post #8

mildly neurotic

Member No.: 123

Hello all.

Zen Do Kai is something I tried about 17 years ago and had to leave when I went to Uni.

The belts go from white to blue to green to brown to black. There are coloured tips inbetween all the belts. I got as far as green belt and brown tips in two gradings. I think that if you do an exceptional job when grading for a colored belt, (ie blue to green), they award a green belt and brown tip. If you stuff it up enough to not make green belt, they award blue belt with green tips (unless you stuff it up completely).

I don't believe they follow the 10 kyu system, but I am the better part of 2 decades out of date.

I cannot remember how long I took to get to green/brown tip. 18 months is my best guess.

Cheers.

Ken.

+Quote Post
Matt
post Jan 29 2004, 07:25 PM
Post #9

Running with scissors

Group: Admin.
Member No.: 1
Style: Karotty

:thumbwink: thanks for that.

Can you tell us what a typical class entailed?

--------------------
I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now

+Quote Post
Karate Dad
post Jan 30 2004, 02:10 PM
Post #10

mildly neurotic

Member No.: 123

It isn't that far removed from a GKR class. In fact I think Bob Jones and Kancho Sullivan trained together.

The big difference is the specific strength and fitness requirements for ZDK.

For green belt you were required to do 50 pushups and 50 situps and x minutes free sparring. Blue belt was half of that and Brown belt was double. Black was double that again. crying.gif

Classes would start with this cardio work and then get into basics/kumite/kata. Punishment would not usually consist of holding a stance as you would in GKR. No, no, it was cardio work. (or you were the sensei's dummy sad.gif )

At brown belt level, some dojo's (Bendigo in Victoria was one) would teach weapons training. I remember once we started jogging around the streets of Bendigo in our gi's and bare feet. This would include finding a road up a steep rise and doing situps on it unsure.gif . We then proceeded to the park and broke out some bo's and the brown belts did some demo's. It was about this point when I left the dojo. I don't know if it was unusual then, but it would certainly be now with all the insurance woes that sporting clubs have.

Toodles.

Ken.

+Quote Post
Zen Warrior
post Feb 2 2004, 10:57 AM
Post #11

neurotic

Member No.: 122

Hi,

Yes Bob Jones founder of zen do kai and robert sullivan founder of GKR both trained under Sensei Tino Ceberano of the goju style in late 60's early 70's. Just because a student trained under a highly regarded sensei does not mean that student is therefore better or possecces higher levels of skills and knowledge than other students. How long did each train under Sensei Tino and what grade did they reach? Any further similarity between the 2 regards karate skills, styles they formed and personality is academic and opinion.

Bob jones formed ZDK as a primary fighting style. His background was in training bouncers & personal security personnel. Do a search for bob jones, zen do kai, tino ceberano and you will find many informative articles.

20 years ago I met Sensei Tino, and can see why he is held in such high regard. He is a true Sensei, a martial arts master and a man of great honesty and integrity.

with regard to class structure between ZDK & GKR I can only comment on what I've seen at the respective dojo's locally.

ZDK did a lot of one on one practice in stances of basic punches, blocks and kicks. Instead of GKR standing in haikadach fighting the invisible man.

ZDK uses punch & kick boards, and does one on one training of "illegal" techniques eg. elbow strikes, open hand strikes.

GKR focused on the very basics & kata, ZDK focuses on fighting kumite.

GKR holds stances for several minutes. Also uses squat kicks and sumo stance as punishment for whole class when some students don't say loud "hai" after every pause in the sensei's instructions. ZDK focused more on correct movement through stances than the initial stationary position of the stance. Only saw individual students do pushups for not paying attention.

GKR had more controlled sparring with little body contact. ZDK had very aggressive sparring with a lot of heavy body contact. (not to the head).

GKR students were mostly children and their parents (family orientated). ZDK was mostly teenagers and young adulds. (tattoos, very short hair, aggessive/fight attitude,)

GKR had junior belts as instructors, ZDK only had full black belts as instructors.

students at GKR & ZDK showed the same respect to their sensei's.

+Quote Post
deano
post Feb 6 2004, 01:04 PM
Post #12

Psychotic

Member No.: 27

:thumbwink: Thank you very much Zen and Ken.

This post has been edited by deano: Feb 6 2004, 01:04 PM

+Quote Post
ironpalm
post Dec 17 2004, 10:06 PM
Post #13

in therapy

Member No.: 285

QUOTE (deano @ Feb 6 2004, 12:04 PM)
:thumbwink: Thank you very much Zen and Ken.

I remeber when bob jones karate first started back when I was a kid, from what iI have learnt from it and from the web it is an evolving style. When it first started it was Karate based then when the 1980's hit it took on aspects of kick boxing ( which was very popular at the time) and now it has evolved further still with aspects of shoot fighting and brazilian Ju JUIT su, similar to UFC style.

So basically it is not true karate in it's linage and a evolving stlye popular with security guards and bouncers.
AS a bi-line Bob Jones did the security/crowd control for the Rolling Stones when they toured Australia in the 1970's,He also used his black belts to support.

A black belt takes 1 year to obtain then from there it reverts back to the tradtional system of 1st dan 1 year, 2nd Dan 2 years, 3 rd Dan 3 years and so on.

So a 2nd Dan Black Belt in ZEN do KAI would be the equilverlent of a 2 kyu in GKR based on time studied.

+Quote Post
Piranha
post Dec 21 2004, 09:48 AM
Post #14

grasshopper

Member No.: 295

QUOTE (ironpalm @ Dec 17 2004, 09:06 PM)
A black belt takes 1 year to obtain then from there it reverts back to the tradtional system of 1st dan 1 year, 2nd Dan 2 years, 3 rd Dan 3 years and so on.

So a 2nd Dan Black Belt in ZEN do KAI would be the equilverlent of a 2 kyu in GKR based on time studied.

Completely wrong - would love to see a one year black belt from ZDK. You are mistaking the uchi deshi program with general students.

A nidan in ZDK would be equivalent to sandan - yondan in GKR in terms of syllabus however would also have done a hell of a lot of contact fighting - somrthing GKR do not.

+Quote Post
Wanderer
post Dec 21 2004, 11:23 AM
Post #15

cellar dweller

Member No.: 131

QUOTE (Piranha @ Dec 21 2004, 08:48 AM)
A nidan in ZDK would be equivalent to sandan - yondan in GKR in terms of syllabus however would also have done a hell of a lot of contact fighting - somrthing GKR do not.

Hi Piranha.
Your comments are appreciated, but what do you base this statement on?
What are the requirements for a yondan (there are I believe only 2) in GKR and ZDK? Does contact fighting make you a better martial artist or just give you something to brag about?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 03:40 PM
Mocha v1.2 Skin © Bytech Web Design